If there’s one country that really knows how to party, it’s Spain.
If you’re backpacking around Spain or just passing through, you’ll be able to find a vibrant and energetic festival almost every week around the sunny country, including many odd festivities that consist of burning giants, running with bulls, kids with firecrackers and one of the best being the famous tomato throwing festival; La Tomatina.
La Tomatina is a food fight of epic proportions. The aim of the game; to ditch tomatoes at every and any poor victim in sight and with 20,000 in attendance you will have no shortage of potential targets. Kicking off every year on the last Wednesday in August, this festival is one of the highlights of the Spanish summer (whether you enjoy being covered in filthy tomatoes during the hottest month of the year is another story).
Never again in your life will you probably come across a festival that encourages tomato war. In fact, La Tomatina is such an official event, that inferior-tasting tomatoes are specially grown for the event and the city council has even put in place official tomato throwing festival rules.
There are only 5 rules during tomato war:
- The tomatoes must be squashed before throwing them (though watch out – this rarely happens)
- No other projectiles except tomatoes are allowed (this is why lids on bottles are not allowed to enter the war zone)
- Participants must give way to trucks and lorries (if you don’t, you will get run over so really it’s a matter of survival)
- The festival does not allow ripping off T-shirts (though wear something tight-fitting as no-one reinforces this)
- After the second cannon shot indicating the tomato throwing festival conclusion – no one is to throw more tomatoes
The epic tomato battle in full swing!
Interested in joining the Tomato Throwing Festival? Become one of Thirsty Swagman’s Tomato Troupers on the Spanish Bar-Mada Tour where La Tomatina will be just one of many exciting party destinations.