The very fact that Spain hosts its own tomato-throwing festival means the country has its quirks. Here are some other interesting facts about Spain you may not know.
- Spanish taxis are easily distinguishable by the green light on the roof.
- Instead of the Tooth Fairy, the Spaniards have a tooth mouse named Ratoncito Perez.
- The name Spain came from the word Ispania, which means “the land of rabbits.”
- The Spaniards brought tomatoes, potatoes, avocados, tobacco and cacao to Europe (and subsequently spread around the world) from their American colonies.
- Spaniards have more cars than mobile phones.
There aren’t many inventions the Spaniards introduced, but they did invent the beret, the mop and Chupa Chups.